I made this amazing Jewish braided egg bread and I must say it was the best bread I had ever eaten. I am a bread fanatic cause I grew up with it being mediterranean and all...
Here is the recipe but let me warn you this is not an easy recipe but very delicious.
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 packages active dry yeast
6 1/2 to 7 cups of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups water
6 tablespoons salad oil
1. In a large bowl combine sugar, salt, yeast and 2 cups flour. In 1 quart saucepan over low heat, heat water and oil until very warm.
2. With mixer at low speed, gradually beat liquid into dry ingredients; beat until just mixed. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
3. Reserve 2 egg yolks; add egg whites, remaining eggs and 1 1/2 cups flour or enough to make a thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl with the rubber spatula. Stir in about 2 1/2 cups flour to make a soft dough.
4. On lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding more flour while kneading. Shape dough into a ball; place in greased large bowl, turning to grease top. Cover with towel ; let rise in warm place, until doubled, about 1 hour.
5. Punch down dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; cover; let rest 15 minutes. meanwhile , grease 1 large cookie sheet.
6. prepare braided loaves.
Braiding Loaves: divide the dough into 3 pieces. Cut 1 piece into third; with hands, roll each third into 16-inch-long rope. Place ropes side by side and braid.
Pinch the ends of the braid to seal. Place on cookie sheet for bottom part of loaf. Repeat with another piece for another loaf. Cut remaining dough into 6 pieces; roll each piece into 17 inch long rope. Braid each set of 3 ropes; pinch ends to seal.
Place each smaller braid on top of large braid; tuck ends of top braid under bottom braid, stretching top braid if it is necessary.
7. Arrange loaves at least 5 inches apart on cookie sheet; cover; let rise in warm place, away from drafts, until doubled, about 1 hour.
8. Preheat oven to 375 f. Brush top and sides of the loaf the reserved egg yolks. Bake 35 min. or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire racks.